Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering
- Fabrication of next generation polymer electrolytes for PEM fuel cell.
- Modelling of proton transport process through the composite polymer electrolyte: investigation of structure-property relationship.
- Multiscale modelling of photocatalytic systems with coupled fluid and mass transport.
- Advanced water treatment with novel visible light activated immobilised photocatalytic system.
Please visit my profile page here, for more details.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Alternate Email: email@example.com
- Mass Transfer -I: 5th Semester (3rd year)
- Mass Transfer-II: 6th Semester (3rd year)
- Advanced Separation Process: 7h Semester (4th year)
- Wastewater Management: 6th Semester (3rd year)
- Mass Transfer Laboratory: 7h Semester (4th year)
- Fluid Flow Laboratory: 4h Semester (2nd year)
- 2017: Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India -
- 2012: M.Tech. in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India
- 2010: B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
- Sep 2016- Oct 2017: Post-Doctoral Researcher, Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford, UK
- July 2019-present: Assistant Professor; Department of Chemical Engineering; Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy, Visakhapatnam
Member of Professional Bodies
Lifetime member of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineering from April, 2017 to present
- Raka Mondal, Micro-segregated two-dimensional fluid and mass transport modelling in unsteady rotating annular photocatalytic reactor, Accepted in Results in Engineering (Cite Score: 3.9).
- Rahul Binjhade, Raka Mondal, Sourav Mondal, Continuous Photocatalytic Reactor: Critical Review on the Design and Performance, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2022, 107746 (Impact factor 7.97).
- Raka Mondal, Sirshendu De, Removal of copper from aqueous solution using zinc oxide nanoparticle impregnated mixed matrix hollow fiber membrane, Environmental Technology & Innovation, 2022, 102300 (Impact factor 7.76).
- Raka Mondal, Sourav Mondal, Krishnasri V Kurada, Saikat Bhattacharjee, Sourav Sengupta, Mrinmoy Mondal, Sankha Karmakar, Sirshendu De, Ian M Griffiths, Modelling the transport and adsorption dynamics of arsenic in a soil bed filter, Chemical Engineering Science 210 (2019) 115205. (Impact Factor 4.9).
- Raka Mondal, Graham Benham, Sourav Mondal, Paul Christodoulides, Natasa Neokleous and Katerina Kaouri, Modelling and optimization of water management in sloping coastal aquifers with seepage, extraction and recharge, Journal of Hydrology 571 (2019) 471-484 (Impact Factor 6.71).
- Mrinmoy Mondal, Raka Mukherjee, Apurva Sinha, Supriya Sarkar, Sirshendu De, Removal of cyanide from steel plant effluent using coke breeze, a waste product of steel industry, Journal of Water Process Engineering 28 (2019) 135-143 (Impact Factor 7.34).
- Raka Mukherjee, Prasenjit Bhunia, Sirshendu De, Long term filtration modelling and scaling up of mixed matrix ultrafiltration hollow fiber membrane: a case study of chromium(VI) removal, Journal of Membrane Science, 570 (2019) 204-214. (Impact Factor 10.53).
- Raka Mukherjee, Prasenjit Bhunia, Sirshendu De, Nanofiltration range desalination by high flux graphene oxide impregnated ultrafiltration hollow fiber mixed matrix membrane, Journal of Cleaner Production, 213 (2019) 393-405. (Impact Factor 11.07)
- Sourav Mondal, Anirban Roy, Raka Mukherjee, Mrinmoy Mondal, Sankha Karmakar, Somak Chatterjee, Munmun Mukherjee, Saikat Bhattacharjee , Sirshendu De, A socio-economic study along with impact assessment for laterite based technology demonstration for arsenic mitigation, Science of the Total Environment, 583 (2017) 142-152. (Impact Factor 10.75)
- Raka Mukherjee, Sirshendu De, Preparation of polysulfone titanium di oxide mixed matrix hollow fiber membrane and elimination of long term fouling by in situ photoexcitation during filtration of phenolic compounds, Chemical Engineering Journal, 302 (2016) 773-785. (Impact Factor 16.74)
- Raka Mukherjee, Prasenjit Bhunia, Sirshendu De, Impact of graphene oxide on removal of heavy metals using mixed matrix membrane, Chemical Engineering Journal, 292 (2016) 284-297. (Impact Factor 16.74)
- Raka Mukherjee, Sirshendu De, Novel carbon-nanoparticle polysulfone hollow fiber mixed matrix ultrafiltration membrane: Adsorptive removal of benzene, phenol and toluene from aqueous solution, Separation and Purification Technology, 157 (2016) 229-240. (Impact Factor 9.136)
- Raka Mukherjee, Mrinmoy Mondal, Apurva Sinha, Supriya Sarkar, Sirshendu De, Application of nanofiltration membrane for treatment of chloride rich steel plant effluent, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 4 (2016) 1-9. (Impact Factor 7.97)
- Raka Mukherjee, Sirshendu De, Preparation, characterization and application of powdered activated carbon-cellulose acetate phthalate mixed matrix membrane for treatment of steel plant effluent, Polymer for Advanced Technology, 27 (2016) 444-459. (Impact Factor 3.35).
- Raka Mukherjee, Rahul Sharma, Parveen Saini, Sirshendu De, Nanostructured polyaniline incorporated ultrafiltration membrane for desalination of brackish water, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 1 (2015) 893-904. (Impact Factor 5.82).
- Sourav Mondal, Raka Mukherjee, Sirshendu De, Process modelling for removal of phenolic compounds from industrial wastewater using mixed matrix membrane, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 54 (2015) 514-521. (Impact Factor 3.72).
- Raka Mukherjee and Sirshendu De, Adsorptive removal of nitrate from aqueous solution by polyacrylonitrile–alumina nanoparticle mixed matrix hollow-fiber membrane, Journal of Membrane Science, 466 (2014) 281-292. (Impact Factor 10.53).
- Sourav Mondal, Raka Mukherjee, Somak Chatterjee and Sirshendu De, Adsorption-concentration polarization model for ultrafiltration in mixed matrix membrane, AIChE Journal, 60 (2014) 2354-2364. (Impact Factor 4.17).
- Raka Mukherjee and Sirshendu De, Adsorptive Removal of Phenolic compounds using cellulose acetate phthalate–alumina nanoparticle mixed matrix membrane, Journal of Hazardous material, 265 (2014) 8–19. (Impact Factor 14.224).
Total number of citations: 713, h-index: 11, i-10 index: 11 [Source: Google Scholar on 07/12/2022]
1. R. Mondal, A. Roy, S. Ghosh, Modelling and tuning of structure-performance relationship for rapid increase in proton conductivity of composite PEM membrane for application in fuel cell, Abstract No. 460, Euromembrane, held in November, 2022; Sorrento, Italy.
2. R. Mondal, S. De, Long-Term performance prediction of mixed matrix membranes at different adsorbent dose and operating conditions, APS March Meeting 2020, Denver, Colorado, United States of America, March, 2020.
3. S. Mondal, R. Mondal, K. Kurada, M. Mondal, S. Karmakar, S. De and I.M. Griffiths, Arsenic remediation using a novel soil-based filter, IWA Young Water professional conference, Cape Town, December 10-13, 2017.
4. R. Mondal, S. Mondal, S. De and I.M. Griffiths, Mitigation of arsenic mass-poisoning: the answer by mathematics, APS Division of fluid dynamics meeting, Denver, November 18-21, 2017.
5. R. Mondal, S. Mondal, S. De and I.M. Griffiths, STEM for Britain, 2017 (a poster competition for early career researchers) in British Parliament, London for demonstration of work to members of parliament.
6. R. Mukherjee and S. De, Oral presentation in AIChE Annual Meeting, 2014 held in Atlanta, USA, “Novel Mixed-Matrix-Membrane with Activated Carbon for Steel-Industry Effluent Treatment”, paper ID 367700.
7. R. Mukherjee and S. De, Hybrid membrane-based separation process for treatment of industrial water, presented in the International Workshop under New INDIGO Scheme on "Hybrid Membrane Based Separation Processes for Treatment of Industrial Wastewater" held at IIT Kharagpur on April 2014.
8. R. Mukherjee and S. De, Invited talk in Tata-Steel at Jamshedpur, India on “Application of mixed matrix membrane for treatment of steel plant effluents” on 27-28th April 2015.
9. R. Mukherjee and S. Panda, Poster presentation in IWPSD, 2011, International Conference on physics of semiconductor, held in December 2011, at IIT Kanpur.
10. R. Mukherjee and S. Panda, Oral presentation “Electrochemical synthesis, immobilisation and transmission line modelling of aniline and N-Phenyl-glycine co-polymer for heavy metal detection”, in CHEMCON, 2011, Annual session of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers held in Bangalore, India.
- Raka Mukherjee, Sirshendu De, A flat sheet mixed-matrix membrane (MMM) involving cellulose acetate phthalate (CAP) and powdered activated carbon (PAC) to treat industrial effluent and the process of its manufacture, granted; Patent No. 335085
- Sourav Mondal, Barun Kumar Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Mrinmoy Mondal, Raka Mukherjee, Anirban Roy, Biswajit Barman, Sirshendu De, Design of low-cost arsenic filter using activated laterite, filed for Indian Patent 430/KOL/2013.
1. Institute Research Grant on PEM membrane fabrication for fuel cells (2022-2025).
2. SIRE fellowship project for collaboration with University of Oxford, 2022
3. Short-term scientific mission (STSM) scheme by MI-NET for a joint project with Water Development Authority, Limassol and University of Cyprus as a continuation of work in 125th study group in Cyprus.
Awards & Honors
Young Academic Award, European Membrane Society, 2022 (one among 10 awardees globally).
SERB International Research Experience (SIRE) for the year 2022-2023, supported by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
Vice-Chancellor's Innovation Award for Team Work, 2018 by University of Oxford for the collaborative work between IIT Kharagpur and University of Oxford.
Research funding under the short-term scientific mission (STSM) scheme by MI-NET, with Water Development Authority, Limassol and University of Cyprus, 2017.
Showcased my work in the British Parliament under STEM in British Parliament session, 2017.
Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Award Appreciation for “Adsorptive removal of phenolic compounds using mixed matrix membrane of cellulose acetate phthalate and alumina nanoparticle" in the year 2014.
Second award for best poster in Research Scholars’ Day, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Kharagpur, 2015.
1. Cultural Committee