Ravi Kumar Sonwani
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering
1. Wastewater Treatment, Techno-economic Analysis, & Life Cycle Assessment
2. Adsorption & Bioremediation of various pollutants (e.g., Dyes, POPs, AHCs, etc.)
3. Waste to Energy Conversion
4. Study of "Reactors" & "Bioreactors" for various applications
5. Air Pollution Control (VOCs)
Department of Chemical Engineering (Room No. 306)
Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE), Visakhapatnam
2nd Floor, AU Engg College,
- Biochemical Engineering
- Wastewater Management
- Air Pollution Control
- Chemical Reaction Engineering Lab
- Industrial Pollution Control
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India (2020)
- M.Tech in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India (2016)
- B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering from Institute of Engineering & Technology, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India (2014)
- Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Petroleum & Energy (IIPE), Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India (Nov 2021-Present)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Chemical Engineering Department, ICT Mumbai-Indian Oil Campus, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India (July 2021-Nov 2021)
- Research Scholar: Chemical Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India (Jan 2021-June 2021)
- Visiting research student in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Han Yang University, Seoul, South Korea (June 2019-September 2019)
Journal PublicationsSelected publications (For more, please follow the link: http://https//scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=Tlv_HDIAAAAJ&hl=en)
- B. N. Thorat & Ravi Kumar Sonwani*. Current technologies and future perspectives for the treatment of complex petroleum refinery wastewater: A review. Bioresource Technology, vol. 355, pp 112655 (1-18), 2022 (IF: 11.8).
- B. Anand, K-H Kim*, Ravi Kumar Sonwani, J.E. Szulejko, P.M. Heynderickx. Removal of gaseous benzene by a fixed-bed system packed with a highly porous metal-organic framework (MOF-199) coated glass beads. Environmental Research, vol. 208, pp 112655 (1-13), 2022 (IF: 8.4).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, K-H Kim*, M. Zhang, Y. F. Tsang, S. S. Lee, B. S. Giri, R. S. Singh, B. N. Rai. Construction of biotreatment platforms for aromatic hydrocarbons and their future perspectives. Journal of Hazardous Materials. vol.416, pp.125968 (1-26), 2021 (IF: 14.2).
- B.S. Giri, Ravi Kumar Sonwani, S. Varjani, D. Chaurasia, T. Varadavenkatesan, P. Chaturvedi, S. Yadav, V. Katiyar, R. S. Singh, A. Pandey. Highly efficient bio adsorption of Malachite green using Chinese Fan-Palm Biochar (Livistona chinensis). Chemosphere. Vol. 287, pp. 132282 (1-11), 2022 (IF: 8.9).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, G. Swain, R. P. Jaiswal, R. S. Singh, B. N. Rai. Moving bed biofilm reactor with immobilized low-density polyethylene–polypropylene for Congo red dye Removal. Environmental Technology & Innovation. vol.23, pp.101558 (1-13), 2021 (IF: 7.7).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, S. Pandey, S. K. Yadav, B. S. Giri, V. Katiyar, R. S. Singh, B. N. Rai. Construction of integrated system for the treatment of Acid orange 7 dye from wastewater: Optimization and growth kinetic study. Bioresource Technology, vol.337, pp.125478 (1-7), 2021 (IF: 11.8).
- Ganesh Swain, Ravi Kumar Sonwani, R.S. Singh, Ravi P. Jaiswal, B.N. Rai. A comparative study of 4-chlorophenol biodegradation in a packed bed and moving bed bioreactor: Performance evaluation and toxicity analysis. Environmental Technology & Innovation. vol.24, pp.101820 (1-13), 2021 (IF: 7.7).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani,
Ganesh Swain, Balendu Shekhar Giri, Ram Sharan Singh, Birendra Nath Rai*. Biodegradation
of Congo red dye in a moving bed biofilm reactor: Performance evaluation and
kinetic modelling. Bioresource Technology. vol.302, pp.122811 (1-9), 2020 (IF: 11.8).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, Balendu Shekhar Giri, Ravi Prakash Jaiswal, Ram Sharan Singh, Birendra Nath Rai. Performance evaluation of a continuous packed bed bioreactor: Bio-kinetics and external mass transfer study. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. vol.201, pp.110860 (1-8), 2020 (IF: 7.1).
- Ganesh Swain, Ravi Kumar Sonwani, B.S. Giri, R.S. Singh, Ravi P. Jaiswal, B.N. Rai*. "Collective removal of phenol and ammonia in a moving bed biofilm reactor using modified bio-carriers: Process optimization and kinetic study". Bioresource Technology. vol.306, pp.123177 (1-8), 2020 (IF: 11.8).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, B. S. Giri, R. S. Singh, B. N. Rai*. Studies on optimization of naphthalene biodegradation using surface response methodology: Kinetic study and performance evaluation of a pilot scale integrated aerobic treatment. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol.132, pp.240-248, 2019 (IF: 7.9).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, G. Swain, B. S. Giri, R. S. Singh, B. N. Rai*. A novel comparative study of modified carriers in moving bed biofilm reactor for the treatment of wastewater: Process optimization and kinetic study. Bioresource Technology. vol.281, pp.335-342, 2019 (IF: 11.8).
- R. K. Sonwani*. An overview on an integrated treatment system for the treatment of complex industrial wastewater. Advances in Sustainable Research for Energy and Environmental Management (ASREEM-2021), organized by Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat (India) (06-08, August 2021) (Oral presentation).
- R. K. Sonwani*, Biodegradation of different dyes by free and immobilized isolated bacterial species: Optimization and growth kinetic study. International Conference on Biotechnology for sustainable agriculture, environment and health (BSAEH-2021), organized by MNIT, Jaipur (04-08 April, 2021) (Poster presentation).
- R. K. Sonwani*. Development of modified carriers for the biodegradation of Congo red in Moving bed biofilm reactor. 26th International Conference Of International Academy of Physical Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi (18-20, December 2020) (Oral presentation).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, Balendu Shekhar Giri, Tapas Das, Ram Sharan Singh, Birendra Nath Rai*, “Biodegradation of PAH by immobilized Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligenes NRSS3 in a packed bed bioreactor and analysis of external mass transfer correlation”, International conference on Bio-Innovation for environmental and health sustainable developments (BEHSD-2018), CSIR-IITR, Lucknow, India (27-28 Nov 2018).
- R. K. Sonwani, B. S. Giri, T. Das, R. S. Singh, B. N. Rai*, “Performance evaluation of continuous packed bed bioreactor for the treatment of wastewater containing PAH by Exiguobacterium sp. RKS3 (MG696729) isolated from petroleum contaminated site”, International conference on sustainable water resources, innovations and impacts (TECHNOSCAPE-18), VIT Vellore, India (6-8 Sep 2018) (Oral presentation).
- R. K. Sonwani, B. S. Giri, S. R. Geed, R. S. Singh, B. N. Rai*,“Combination of UV–Fenton oxidation process with biological treatment of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (naphthalene and fluorene) using isolated bacterial species from petroleum-contaminated site”, International conference on ETBWC-2017, CSIR-NEERI, Nagpur India (8 -10, October 2017).
- R. K. Sonwani, S. R. Geed, M. K. Kureel, B. N. Rai*, Bioremediation of hexavalent from wastewater”. CHEMCON-2015, Annual session of IICHE in IIT-Guwahati, India (27-30, December 2015) (Oral presentation).
- Ravi Kumar Sonwani, R. P. Jaiswal, B. N. Rai, R. S. Singh. Moving bed biofilm reactor- (MBBR-) based advanced wastewater treatment technology for the removal of emerging contaminants. Development in Wastewater Treatment Research and Processes. Pp. 349-370, 2022.
- M. Kumar, G. Swain, Ravi Kumar Sonwani, R. S. Singh, A. Verma, B. N. Rai. Effect of operating parameters on photocatalytic degradation of dyes by using graphitic carbon nitride. Photocatalytic Degradation of Dyes Current Trends and Future Perspectives. pp. 23-43, 2021.
Awards & Honors
1. Best oral presentation award in an international
conference on Energy and Environmental Technologies for Sustainable Development by MNNIT, Allahabad, India (2020).
2. Received SPARC fellowship by MHRD, India to Visit Han-yang University, South Korea (2019).
3. Received award in 100 m running in annual sports competition by Govt. Leather Institute, Kanpur, India (2011).
4. Received award in 100 m running in annual sports competition
by Govt. Leather Institute, Kanpur, India (2010).
1. Coordinator (Dean Academic affairs & Admin)
2. Warden, (MH-2, Boys Hostel)
- Diwakar Patel
1. Invited as Speaker in a Webinar on "Current Technologies for the Management of Petroleum Refinery Wastewater" by the Department of Petroleum Technology, Bhagwant University, Ajmer (26/02/2022).
- Guest Editor (Special Issue "Research on Bioremediation of Hazardous Wastes" of ToxicsJournal)
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology (Springer)
- Energy Storage (Wiley)
- Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering (Elsevier)
- Bioresource Technology Reports (Elsevier)
- Chemical Engineering Research and Design (Elsevier), etc...