Dr. Somnath Ghosh
Bio-compatible Nanomaterial : Synthesis, Characterization and their bactericidal action
Biofilm prevention and wound healing actvity by smart Nanomaterial
C-based Nanomaterial for energy application
Photo-physical properties of Nanomaterials
BS20001: Physical Chemistry
CH10001: Polymers and Surfactants
CH40008: Nanomaterial for Hydrocarbon Industry
BS19002: Physical Chemistry-Lab
BS19012: Organic Chemistry-Lab
2007 - 2012 PhD IISc Bangalore
2005 - 2007 M.Sc. Chemistry IIT Delhi
2002 - 2005 B.Sc. Chemistry (Hons) University of Calcutta
Jul' 2019 - IIPE Visakhapatnam Assistant Professor
Jun' 2018 - Jul' 2019 IIPE Visakhapatnam Assistant Professor (Contractual)
Jun' 2013 - Jun'2018 GITAM University Assistant Professor
Dec' 2012 - Jun' 2013 IISc Bangalore Research Associate
Member of Professional Bodies
Life-time member of Indian Chemical Society
Reviewer of (i) J. Mater. Sci. Engg. B, Elsevier Publication (ii) Chemistry Select, Wiley Publication (iii) J. Nanoparticle Research, Springer Publication (iv) Acs Applied materials & interfaces, Acs Publication (v) Mater. Sci. & Engg. C, Elsevier Publication (vi) Water and Environment Journal, Wiley Publication
Associate Editor of Juniper online Journal of Material Science, California/USA
15. T R K Dora, Somnath Ghosh, R Damodar "Synthesis and evaluation of physical properties of Agar bio-polymer film coating—an alternative for food packaging industry" Materials Research Express 2020, 7 (9), 095307.
14. S I Basha, Somnath Ghosh*, K Vinothkumar, B Ramesh, K V M Mohan, E Sukumar* "Fumaric acid incorporated Ag/agar-agar hybrid hydrogel: a multifunctional avenue to tackle wound healing" Materials Science and Engineering: C 2020, 111, 110743.
13. B K Goriparthi, P N E Naveen, H R Shankar, Somnath Ghosh* "Mechanical, wear and fatigue behavior of functionalized CNTs reinforced POM/PTFE composites" Materials Research Express 2019, 6 (6), 065051.
12. S I Basha, Somnath Ghosh, K V Kumar, B Ramesh, P Kumari, H Prakash, E. Sukumar* "Synthesis, characterization and antibacterial activity of fumaric acid incorporated silver nanoparticle hydrogel" J. Indian Chem. Soc. 2019, 96 (11), 1409.
11. B K Goriparthi, P N E Naveen, H R Sankar, Somnath Ghosh* "Effect of functionalization and concentration of carbon nanotubes on mechanical, wear and fatigue behaviours of polyoxymethylene/carbon nanotube nanocomposites" Bulletin of Materials Science 2019, 42 (3), 98.
10. Somnath Ghosh*, V Vandana "Nano-structured mesoporous silica/silver composite: Synthesis, characterization and targeted application towards water purification" Materials Research Bulletin 2017, 88, 291.
09. Vandana V, K R Rao Ch, Somnath Ghosh, Babia L "Synthesis of Calophyllum inophyllum Esters as Biofuel Feed stock" JOJ Material Sci. 2017; 2(2): 555583.
08. Somnath Ghosh*, Vandana, R. Gowri Shankar "Curious case of bactericidal action of ZnO" Journal of Nanoscience 2014, Article ID 343467
07. V Venkatesan, S L Hoti, N Kamaraj, Somnath Ghosh, K Rajaram "Optimisation of an asymmetric polymerase chain reaction assay for the amplification of single-stranded DNA from Wuchereria bancrofti for electrochemical detection" Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz 2013, 108 (6), 804.
06. S Kumar, Somnath Ghosh, N Munichandraiah, H N Vasan "1.5 V battery driven reduced graphene oxide–silver nanostructure coated carbon foam (rGO–Ag–CF) for the purification of drinking water" Nanotechnology 2013, 24 (23), 235101.
05. Somnath Ghosh, V. S. Goudar, K. G. Padmalekha, S. V. Bhat, S. S. Indi, H N Vasan "ZnO/Ag nanohybrid: synthesis, characterization, synergistic antibacterial activity and its mechanism" RSc Advances 2012, 2, 930-940
04. H N Vasan, Somnath Ghosh, S. L. Hoti "Ag@AgI, Core@Shell structure in agarose matrix as hybrid: Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity" Langmuir 2012, 28, 8550.
03. B E Wajeeha Sultana, Somnath Ghosh, B. Eraiah "Zinc Oxide Modified Au Electrode as Sensor for an Efficient Detection of Hydrazine" Electroanalysis 2012, 24, 1869.
02. Somnath Ghosh, T K Ranebennur, H N Vasan "Study of antibacterial efficacy of hybrid chitosan-silver nanoparticles for prevention of specific biofilm and water purification" Int. J. of Carbohydrate Chemistry 2011, Article ID 693759
01. Somnath Ghosh, R. Kaushik, K. Nagalakshmi, S. L. Hoti, G. A. Menezes, B. N Harish, H N Vasan "Antimicrobial activity of highly stable silver nanoparticles embedded in agar– agar matrix as a thin film" Carbohydrate Research 2010, 345, 2220.
Awards & Honors
AIR: 126 in IIT-JAM, 2005
AIR: 166 in GATE (Chemical Science), 2007
Qualified CSIR-NET, 2007
CNRS Lafics Fellowship, ICMCB, Bordeaux, France
Jul'2018 - Jan' 2021 Professor-in-Charge, Exam Cell, IIPE Visakhapatnam
Dec'2020 - till date Associate Dean, Faculty Affairs, IIPE Visakhapatnam